Call Us +1(587)830 5061 ·

Study Permit


Education System in Canada:

Canada has one of the best education systems in the world. Canada is a country where students from different countries, backgrounds, races and cultures come every year to get quality education. It is important to mention here that an impresive 175,000 students come to Canada every year. Courses range right from aerospace engineering to medicine, from finance to arts and from business to skilled trades. Thus, Canada offers a much needed diversity in education. The educational institutions in the country encourage foreign students to study with them. This has been an important factor in the number of students going up sharply in recent times. The tuition fees in the country’s schools are also affordable, as they are one of the lowest among the western nations.

Work During the Academic Year:

There are a number of quality educational institutions in the country that offer degrees, recognized the world over. During the academic year, students can work on and off campus without a work permit. However, students are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week while the program is in session and full-time during scheduled breaks in the academic calendar.

Post Graduate Work:

The education sector in Canada has promising prospects for those wishing to pursue higher education. Citizenship and Immigration Canada has formulated policies for international students who complete a degree, diploma or certificate program in Canada. To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows for up to a maximum of 3 years of work following the completion of an eligible program.


Students must have been accepted by a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada

Students must be law-abiding citizens with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.

Students must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.

Students must satisfy an immigration officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay.

Students must prove that they have enough money to pay for:

Tuition fees

Living expenses for themselves and any family members who come with them to Canada and

Return transportation for themselves and any family members who come with them to Canada.


In some cases, students do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada. If students wish to study in a less than 6 months program,
they do not need a study permit.They must complete the course or program within the period authorized for their stay in Canada.

Quality of Education:

Education institutions are not officially ranked in Canada, but you will find quality institutions across the country. When choosing your school in Canada, consider the type, size and location of the institution. If you are interested in a particular area of study, investigate which schools have more to offer in that discipline.
Canada has a large selection of universities and colleges on the Designated Learning Institute (DLI) list, located in both urban and rural settings in every region of the country. Degrees from Canadian universities are considered to be equivalent to those from American and other Commonwealth universities. Canadian universities are largely publicly funded; as a result they are of a consistently high quality, regardless of location or area of study. Also they all retain a high degree of academic autonomy.

University Transfer Programs:

Students intending to acquire a degree at a university can complete their first two years of study at a community or university college and earn credits. Most of the credits earned in this type of program may be transferred to universities as the first and second years of a degree program.
Community and university colleges that offer transfer programs usually have an established relationship with nearby universities however, it is important to check with the college to determine which universities will accept the transfer credits. You must ensure that the courses you take are appropriate to the degree you plan to enter in the university.
Career Colleges in Canada are privately owned institutions that offer training programs that provide students with practical skills for the job market after a short period of instruction. Students seeking short-term training programs in multimedia, film studies, computer/internet studies, graphic design and hospitality to name a few, may want to consider applying to a career college.


Canadian educational institutions generally do not offer very extensive scholarships. The scholarships rarely cover the full cost of a study program and they are not always easy to find. For international students scholarships are available at some Canadian institutions. They are however, directly related to the performance of the student.

Explore Immigration is an authorized agent of many Canadian universities and colleges. For further details, please contact us.

Contact Us